Friday, October 30, 2009

Marathoner outruns disability

The Almighty uses different people in different ways, they say. He must have a special road marked for Sharad Bhagwatkar.

This 66-year-old has run marathons all across the country, as well as far flung places like Chicago. Now, he is running to raise money to renovate a Jain temple in Pusla village near Warud.

And, this feat is being achieved despite around 40 per cent disability of his legs after an accident in 1992. He was in fact bedridden for four years after the accident!

Bhagwatkar's marathon running success started in 2005. "My brother informed me that he had entered me for the international half marathon in Bangalore. I had been trying to garner funds for the temple, but with limited success over the years. Besides, my age and the condition of my legs were a deterrent. However, I thought that if this is the will of the Lord, then so be it," Bhagwatkar said.

"In my youth, I had been a state-level medal winner in swimming. However, lack of practice over the years had done no good for my legs. After taking the decision to participate in the marathon, I started swimming again, hoping to increase my endurance and regain sufficient strength in my legs. Besides, I had retired as an accountant from the police commissionerate in Nagpur in 2000, and could devote more time to the task at hand," he says.

"The task was daunting, and I knew it. However, I managed to hold my fort throughout the marathon, which was held on October 12 that year, and managed to complete it in two hours and 35 minutes. Although I came in last in my category, those over 40 years of age, people said that I was a winner because I had overcome a big hurdle," Bhagwatkar says.

"After that, I participated in two more marathons almost back to back in the first part of 2006. One of them was held in Mumbai on January 15, and the other in Chennai in February.

Reference : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment